Update your email display name
You might check how your professional email appears in the inbox of recipients by sending yourself an email to a personal account.
Some issues I commonly see:
- Instead of seeing the sender’s first and last name, just see the email address
- Sender’s first and last name are all lower case “first name” or some odd case “FIrst Name”
What’s the impact?
- The sender looks just a bit unprofessional to every recipient
- Adds a stumbling block when recipients using an iPhone try to Add Contact. Instead of first and last names automatically populating, the email address shows as the first name
- Makes it harder for the recipient to search for the sender by name in their inbox
Good news: Fixing your “display name” takes less than five minutes.
And of course you should not be using a personal email for consulting work.
If you are still using a gmail, yahoo, hotmail, or aol account, consider taking 30 minutes to buy a domain and get a professional email address.
In a previous survey, 2/3 of community members with a professional email address use G-Suite, 1/3 use Microsoft, and a tiny percentage use some other provider.