Create an estate plan
If you don’t have an estate plan in place already, PLEASE get one drafted up, now.
The ROI is dramatic:
Attorney’s fees to draft up a full estate plan including a trust, power of attorney, health care proxy, all the guardian designation documents: ~$5,000.
Cost to go through probate if you don’t have a trust when you die: ~5-10% of your estate, plus all assets tied up for 9-12 months.
In Episode 250 of Unleashed, trust and estates attorney Maureen Pritchard discusses:
- What information you should gather before meeting with a trust and estates attorney?
- What is the benefit of creating a will?
- What are the benefits of creating a trust?
- What are the considerations in designating a guardian for your children?
- What other documents, besides a will or trust, should be included in an estate plan?
- How much will it cost to have the documents prepared?
- Why not use LegalZoom?
- How to select a trust and estates attorney
Maureen generously provided these files to get you started: Estate Planning Worksheet, this Will Design Sheet, and these 12 tips for guardianship.